In the words of Charles Dickens, “What greater gift than the love of a cat”. Only a cat owner knows what adventure being a cat parent is! There are a lot of amiable, demonstrative, warm, and delightful cats in all feline breeds. But these friendliest cat breeds are known for their friendliness and lack of shyness. If you are planning on bringing an extrovert cat into your family, some are worth considering.
Before we dive into our list of friendly feline breeds, first, keep in mind that there is always an exception, even if you have chosen the one who is known for its outgoing demeanor. So, despite the breed, you will come across a cat that is more shy than social. Cats have a cordial and affectionate side. Felines might not be as friendly as dogs, but some cat breeds are close.
Here Are The 10 Sweetest Friendliest Cat Breeds:
1. RAGDOLL The Pretty and Big Cat
The name is so cute for the whole breed of cats. Do you know there are plenty of cuddles to be had once you welcome a RAGDOLL into your life? It is one of the friendliest cat breeds. They love to spend time with their owners the most.
Cats are known for their grooming habits, which allow them to keep their fur clean and free of parasites.
Spending a few days in their company will make you wonder whether you have adopted a puppy. Some owners take their puppy-like docile nature seriously and teach them to play fetch or to come when called. You will have little doubt that you are in the company of the most affectionate cat breed ever when the ball of fur cannot resist flopping into your arms every time you hold them.
Ragdolls are super pretty and big cats. They are tender, relaxed, mild, and great attention-seekers. They are anxious to please you, and they love to be in your arms. If you are looking for a cat that will follow you around everywhere, the well-behaved Ragdoll is the one we highly recommend.
- Ragdolls are known for their affectionate and social personalities and are often described as being “dog-like” in their loyalty and devotion to their owners.
- They are known to be good with children and other pets and generally get along well with people and other animals.
- Ragdolls are also known for their calm and gentle temperament, which can make them a good choice for people who are looking for a laid-back and low-maintenance companion.
Price in India:
Ragdoll cat is an expensive breed and On average, they are available in the price range of Rs 20,000 to Rs 45,000rs. The price can go as high as Rs 50,000 – 80,000.
|Delhi||30,000 – 40,000|
|Kerala||30,000 – 45,000|
READ MORE: KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT RINGWORMS IN CATS
2. PERSIAN the Friendly Meow
Fluffy, cuddly, and fuzzy kittens in the feline world are the PERSIAN – one of the most popular breeds of cats. You will often find them patiently waiting for you to sit down so they can find their comfortable spot right on your lap. They are a relaxed and friendly cat breed. They will steal your heart just by sitting quietly and looking pretty, which they will be doing plenty of time.
Did you know: Cats have a special muscle in their eyes that allows them to close their eyelids tightly, which is why they can sleep with their eyes open without their eyes drying out.
The unique-looking Persians are affectionate, laid-back, sweet, and gentle. These quiet cats like being around people, so they will often sit nearby only to be in your company. Moreover, these kitties are also playful, and they enjoy attention during their grooming. At the same time, a Persian cat might be a good choice if you do not want an attention-seeking kitty. And it is worth noting that some of these cats might not feel comfortable being around new people, so be patient until they learn to trust you.
Socialization / Social interactive level:
- Persian cats are generally known to be social and affectionate with their owners and may be more reserved with strangers or outsiders.
- They are generally not as outgoing as some other cat breeds and may take longer to warm up to new people or situations.
- Some Persian cats may be more outgoing and social with outsiders, while others may be more reserved. It is important to consider the individual personality of a Persian cat when determining how socially interactive it may be with outsiders.
Price in India:
The average cost of a Persian cat in India is between 15,000 and 45,000 rupees. The cost of a Persian cat might change depending on availability, location, breeder, breed quality, etc.
3. BURMESE the Loving Tabby
A windowsill is the BURMESE favorite place in the world. They will never ignore their owners and will take all the attention you give them. They will curiously follow you around seeking attention to know what is in your cupboards, sit on your shoulder while browsing the Internet and get into you and the television. You might have to give us your privacy with a Burmese in your house, but they will surely make up for it with cuddles. They are one of the most affectionate cat breeds, always up for snuggling time and keen to have the kids playing around them all the time.
Did you know: Cats have flexible bodies and quick reflexes, which allows them to move quietly and gracefully? They can rotate their ears 180 degrees and catch prey effectively.
The charming and loving Burmese is known for its friendly disposition, and these cats tend to be comfortable with people cuddling them, hugging them, and kissing them. And if you are looking for a cat that will get along with people and other pets and will enjoy spending time purring in your lap, the affectionate Burmese would not be disappointing.
Socialization / Social interactive level:
- Burmese cats are generally known to be social and affectionate with their owners and may be more outgoing and interactive with outsiders.
- They are known for their friendly and curious personalities and are often described as being “dog-like” in their desire for attention and social interaction.
- Burmese cats are generally good with children and other pets and can make a great addition to a family or social environment.
Price in India:
Birman cat prices in India can range from Rs. 19,000-29,000 in India. This breed is quite rare in India.
READ MORE: CREATING A CAT-FRIENDLY HOME
4. MAINE COON the Fur Baby
The Maine coon manages to get the balance between being a loyal companion and a deep independent streak. Though they have a big physique, they love a good cuddle in your lap the most. The second alternative is perhaps making the rodents run for dear life as they always want to show off their chasing skills.
It is a brilliant cat so keep the toy box full of plenty of puzzle toys. Nothing spells fun for these kittens more than an exciting mental challenge.
They are also known as gentle giants who are friendly with everyone, even if they encounter them for the first time. They get along with kids and other pets very well. These felines will always be around to show their caring nature.
Did you know: Cats are known for their independent nature and do not require as much attention and care as dogs.
Social interactive level:
- Maine Coon cats are generally known to be social and affectionate with their owners and may be more outgoing and interactive with outsiders.
- The preferred method of communication for Maine Coons is through frequent chirps and “trills,” which are mash-ups of meows and purrs.
- With their amiable, lively attitude and intense level of engagement with their owners, Maine Coons defy this notion. This amazing cat may be trained to play fetch and even be led around by a leash.
Price in India:
This breed is ideal if you want a cat that will show you some love when you arrive home because they are very friendly and enjoy playing. If you’re interested to bring one home the price ranges from Rs 40,000 to Rs 45,000.
5. EXOTIC SHORTHAIR the House of Entertain
The Exotic is closely related to the Persian and therefore has too many similar habits. They are a bit more loving and playful than Persian. They have considerably shorter hair so; it is easier to manage their grooming schedule. If you are looking for a faithful and trustworthy companion, this one is the most suitable cat breed.
The sweet and exotic breed is an ideal choice for anyone who would love to have a lap cat to call their own. These felines will gladly cuddle with you and follow you around. They might be a little shy at first around strangers and kids, so give them some time to warm up. They will be full of love once they are comfortable.
Did you know: Cats have a unique way of communicating with their owners by bringing them “gifts” such as dead mice or birds.
Social interactive level:
- Persians are often characterized to as “furniture with fur” because of their calm demeanor. Although it has a temperament that is comparable to the Persians, the Exotic Shorthair is much livelier than the Persian due to its shorthair forebears.
- The Exotic Shorthair has a rather chubby appearance because of its thick, short-legged bodies, wide necks, and huge heads. Although the Exotic can weigh up to 15 pounds, its solid bones, not really fat, account for the majority of this weight.
- Exotic Shorthairs come in a wide variety of patterns and hues, from black, white, blue, and tabby to calico and a color point coat resembling that of a Siamese. Depending on the cat’s coat, its eyes can be either blue, blue-green, or dazzling copper.
Price in India:
The exotics have a peaceful temperament and minimal vocalization in addition to a distinctively dense coat that few other breeds possess. The price of Exotic Shorthair is around Rs 65000 to Rs 90,000.
6. CHARTREUX the Peace Lover
Never too loud or demanding and are happy to wait patiently for their owner to come without any misbehavior. Chartreux cats are always on their best etiquette.
These cats are friendly companions and become devoted to their human families very quickly. They give plenty of attention to the guests also. Their quiet nature also means that you won’t hear more than a chirp if something ever goes wrong, so check them frequently to make sure that they are enjoying or not.
Did you know: Cats can see in almost complete darkness, thanks to the presence of a special reflective layer in their eyes called the tapetum lucidum.
- Many people mistakenly believe that the Chartreux and British shorthair cats are interchangeable, but if you look closely, you can tell the two cats are apart.
- The Chartreux breed is famous for its peaceful nature. They chirp and trill when they do make noise, which isn’t often.
- A delightful cat to have as a friend is the Chartreux. She is calm and laid-back. The Chartreux is a cat that will cling to every member of her family with strong loyalty and love.
Price in India:
These cats are now rather uncommon and rare. As a result, the price of Chartreux kittens often ranges from Rs. 80000 to Rs. 1 Lac, depending on their age, pedigree, and other characteristics.
7. Manx the Friendly Ancient Fur
One of the most ancient cat breeds is the Manx. The history of this breed is surrounded by many fantastic legends. The Manx was dozing off when Noah summoned all the animals to the ark, which is both the most intriguing and the least genetically correct fact. She awoke precisely as Noah was fastening the ark’s door. The Manx is unique because it does not have a tail. Beyond its appearance, though, what makes this breed stand out is its socializing nature, playfulness, and talkative personality. These kitties prefer being in the company of their family, and they will trust you and dedicate themselves to you for good.
Did you know: Cats are capable of producing over 100 different vocal sounds, while dogs can only produce about 10.
- The Manx is a calm, affectionate cat. She seldom seems to show a lot of emotion. She enjoys being around people and is a devoted companion.
- Not all Manx is absolutely short. Due to their cats’ tiny tail stumps, some Manx is known as Stumpies. Others are referred to as Rumpy Risers because the little tail rises when your hand is placed around the rump.
- In the late 19th century, animal lovers in England started exhibiting Manx cats at some of the first cat shows ever held. The Manx was one of the founding breeds when the Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA), the largest registry of pedigreed cats in the world, was established in 1906.
Price in India
The price of a Manx cat in India is around Rs 10000 to Rs 40000. Due to the imperfect dominance of the Manx gene, kittens who inherit it may have full-length, stubby, or no tails at all, and any of these tail lengths may be present in the same litter.
READ MORE: DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY IN VETERINARY PRACTICE
8. SPHYNX the Cuddle Lover
With looks like no other, the Sphynx doesn’t mind the spotlight at all. They will grab all the attention they can get and return you with happy purrs and cuddles. These affectionate cat breeds are talkative and very playful.
They have a distinctive hairless look, which will make them feel chilly in winter and might even get sunburned in the summer. The lucky owners can be proud to have one of the most undemanding and friendly cat breeds around.
- The Sphynx might resemble a naked mole rat more than a cat. However, if you have one, you’ll find that they don’t have any hair at all. Sphynx cats have a thin layer of downy fuzz covering them. They don’t feel soft to the touch, but their coats have a suede-like texture.
- Sphynxes are not hypoallergenic as a breed. The allergenic protein found in cat saliva and skin secretions that makes your eyes itch and turn red is still produced by them.
- The skin of a sphynx is more delicate. Although they can go outside, they should be largely inside cats because they can get overheated or chilly.
Price in India:
Sphynx cats, with their angular faces, large ears, and sleek bodies, are purring testament that cats are more than just furry little balls of fluff. To bring one home the average cost of Sphynx in India is around Rs 20000 to Rs 40000.
Did you know: Cats have a behavior called “kneading” where they push their paws in and out against a soft surface, such as a blanket or their owner’s lap. This is a sign of contentment and affection.
9. OCICAT the Affectionate
These may look wild, but their nature completely contradicts it. These cats are active, devoted, and friendly enough to get along with people and other pets. Like Manx, these also have high social needs. They are confident, outgoing, and friendly towards strangers too. Moreover, they can get up with dogs and children. They enjoy relaxing and playtime equally with you. Affectionate and full of zeal, this is the right breed if you need a beautiful cat with a lovely personality.
The cat friend you wish you also had in human form. They live every minute to the fullest, which means you have to level up your energy to match their personality. But it is joyful to own an intelligent and friendly cat.
- The Ocicat is entirely domestic yet resembles a smaller counterpart of the ocelot (Leopardus pardalis), a spotted wildcat that typically inhabits the region between southern Texas and northern Argentina. It weighs 20 to 30 pounds.
- These cats don’t mind being talkative and extroverted, even if they can be a little pushy. They thrive in busy homes with residents who enjoy interacting with their cats and introducing new playthings and activities.
- Ocicats despise having the house to themselves. Their health is optimum when they are coupled with other cats or even dogs. When their favorite people spend a lot of time away from home and at work, they don’t like it.
Price in India:
One of the cat breeds that truly enjoys water is the Ocicat, and they might even try to join you in the shower or bathtub. So if you’re wondering to bring one home you can chase a few pet shops and get this one in India for around Rs 40000 to Rs 1 Lac.
Did you know: Cats have a keen sense of smell, which is 14 times stronger than that of humans, and their sense of hearing is also much more acute.
10. ABYSSINIAN the Kitchen Lover
Abyssinians remain very close to their owner no matter what. You will find them in the kitchen while cooking, perched on your shoulder, and snuggling next to you on a movie night. There is no doubt that you will be besties forever. The Abyssinian is one of the loveliest cat breeds you can ever wish for.
- There are nine recognized colors for the Abyssinian, but only four stand out: Ruddy (golden brown), Sorrel (cinnamon), Blue (blue-gray), and Fawn (light brown)
- The day is spent by Abyssinians climbing to higher elevations and observing their surroundings. A bird feeder near a window and puzzle toys can keep kids entertained for hours.
- “Aby’s,” who resemble wild cats in appearance and behavior, do so occasionally. circus performers that are incredibly athletic and acrobatic.
Price in India:
The cost of an Abyssinian cat is around Rs 5000 to Rs 15000 as this cat is believed that Southeast Asia and the Indian Coast are where the Abyssinian first appeared. They are thought to be among the first cat breeds and resemble cats found in Egyptian tomb paintings.
Did you know: The average life span of cats is around 15 years, but some cats can live into their late teens or early twenties?
Cats are a popular pet choice for many households due to their independent nature and low maintenance. They are known for their grooming habits, keen senses, and playful personalities. They have a unique way of communicating with their owners and have a natural instinct to hunt and play. While cats are generally known for their independent nature, friendly cats can also form strong bonds with their owners and enjoy affection and companionship.
Regular veterinary check-ups, proper nutrition, and providing them with plenty of exercises and mental stimulation can help keep cats healthy and happy. With proper care and attention, cats can make great companions and bring joy and laughter to their owners’ lives. If you’re a cat parent looking for easy ways to know about cat maintenance, grooming, or vaccination. You can reach out to us our vets can assist you in taking care of your dear purry one!
READ MORE: SEX DETERMINATION IN KITTENS
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ON SWEET CATS
Q. How do I make my cat friendlier?
Socializing your cat from a young age, providing them with plenty of positive interactions and affection, and providing them with mental and physical stimulation can help make them more friendly.
Q. How often should I change my cat’s litter box?
The litter box should be scooped at least once a day and completely cleaned and replaced with fresh litter every 1-2 weeks.
Q. What vaccinations do cats need?
Cats typically need vaccinations against feline panleukopenia, feline herpesvirus, feline calicivirus, and rabies. Your vet will be able to provide recommendations based on your cat’s lifestyle and risk factors.
Q. How do I keep my cat entertained when I’m away from home?
Cats can be kept entertained with interactive toys and scratching posts when you’re away from home. You can also consider getting another cat for a company or hiring a pet sitter to visit and play with your cat.
Q. What are some common health problems in cats?
Some common health problems in cats include dental issues, urinary tract infections, and upper respiratory infections. Overweight obesity, diabetes, and heartworm and flea infestations are also common problems.
Q. Can you train a cat to be more friendly?
Cats can be trained to a certain degree with positive reinforcement, but it’s not to the same extent as dogs. Training helps to build trust and understand each other and can make your cat friendlier and more responsive to you.
Q. How do I care for an older cat?
Caring for an older cat may require more frequent veterinary visits and adjustments to diet and exercise. Keep an eye out for changes in behavior or physical symptoms and address them promptly.
Q. Can cats be friends with other animals?
Cats can be friends with other animals, but it depends on the individual cats and the other animals. Cats can coexist peacefully with other pets, but it’s important to introduce them slowly and supervised.