These are the 10 Human foods that are toxic for dogs:
Chocolate is one of the favorite foods for humans, but it is certainly not good for dogs. It contains theobromine which is like caffeine and is poisonous to dogs. It badly affects the central nervous system, heart, kidneys, and guts. The harmful effects of theobromine such as food poisoning start occurring within four to 24 hours after the dog has consumed the chocolate. You may notice vomiting, restlessness, diarrhea, hyperactivity, etc. in dogs.
Much like chocolate, caffeine is also harmful to dogs. Dogs are even more sensitive to caffeine than humans. A significant amount of coffee or tea can do harm to the dog. If they have consumed a handful of coffee beans or tea leaves then could be in unimaginative danger.
3. ONION, GARLIC, AND CHIVES
Consuming these vegetables can lead to stomach and gut irritation and lead to anemia and red blood cell damage.
Onions can be very toxic, and the signs of poisoning occur only after some days when your dog has consumed any of these vegetables. Onions in all their form can cause problems be it cooked onions, raw onions, dehydrated onions, or any table scraps carrying cooked onions or garlic.
You should definitely avoid giving them leftovers from any of the Chinese dishes, commercial baby food, or left-over pizza containing onion as they might cause illness. Plenty of takeaway food contains onions or garlic powder in their gravies and sauces.
Alcohol is relatively more toxic to dogs than it is to humans. When consumed even in little quantities it may cause diarrhea, loss of appetite, vomiting, central nervous system depression, difficulty in breathing, coma, and even death. So, always remember to keep alcohol away from your dog’s reach.
5. MOLDY FOODS
Moldy food such as bread, nuts, and dairy products, contain a lot of toxins that can make your dog feel very ill. Make sure you dispose of leftovers carefully and be careful to keep your food waste bin well out of your dog’s reach.
6. GRAPES AND RAISINS
Though the toxic substance in grapes and raisins is still unknown, it can lead to kidney failure in sensitive individuals. Dogs that already have some or other health problems are at the greatest risk and just one raisin can be severely toxic. Experts agree that there is no safe dose of grapes and raisins.
7. YEAST DOUGH
Yeast dough can cause gas to accumulate in the dog’s digestive system. A result of the dough rising. Not only can this be painful, but it may also cause the stomach or intestines to get blocked. So, while the small bits of bread can be given as a treat, due to those risks are less once the yeast has fully risen. You should never give your dog yeast dough.
While feeding your dog, bones might seem like a good idea, it’s important to remember that dogs may choke on them, develop an intestinal problem after swallowing a piece of bone, damage their teeth while chewing them, or sustain an internal injury as bone can puncture your dog’s digestive tract.
If you choose to give your dog a bone, be sure to keep an eye on him while he tucks in and avoid giving them cooked bones or bones that are small enough to get stuck in their intestines. Eating large quantities of bone can often cause constipation, so always try to monitor the amount your dog manages to consume.
As dogs do not have significant amounts of the enzyme lactase that breaks down the lactose in milk, feeding your dog milk and other milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive issues.
10. BLUE CHEESE
Like other dairy products, dogs find it difficult to break down cheese, while eating large amounts of higher-fat varieties can cause sickness and diarrhea. Though blue cheese, such as stilton and Roquefort, is quite dangerous. Many contain a substance called roquefortine C, which dogs are especially sensitive to.
Roquefortine C may cause vomiting and diarrhea and potentially also tremors, twitching, seizures, and a high temperature if consumed in large doses. If you think your dog has consumed blue cheese and is suffering from any of these signs, then you should seek emergency veterinary advice.