Holiday hazards to pets

Holiday time is a phase when all of us are thrilled and joyous and so do our pets. However, this is also the time when we have to be very careful about our pets since they are prone to accidents and get them hurt or can be trapped into some serious mishap. 

Pets are generally curious about the ornaments hanging from the Christmas tree and are easily attracted to them. It is advisable to hang them above their reach so that the risk of them getting hurt by them is lessened. Wooden, metal, and durable ornaments can be hung on the lower branches of the tree. However, for your pet’s safety one must avoid placing any ornaments on the lower branches of the Christmas tree. 

PLANTS AND FLOWERS 

Plants are a wonderful way to brighten up your home but they can cause some real danger and can be toxic to pets. Even non-toxic plants can cause some gastrointestinal issue to your pets if ingested in large quantities. Plants that are specifically dangerous to your pets are: Chrysanthemums, Azaleas, Evergreens, Lily, Ivy, Juniper etc. 

Though poinsettias are largely considered to be toxic to dogs and cats, ingestion may cause irritation to the mouth and stomach and can result in vomiting, but they are generally considered low in toxicity. 

CHRISTMAS TREE 

Trees and ornaments are beautiful during the holidays, but can be a danger to your furry friend. Try to keep your Christmas tree secure by using a stable stand or table or tying the top or sides of the tree to a hook on the ceiling.  

If your pet chews on electrical cords then it can result in some serious injuries such as electrical shock and oral burns. 

Also Read: THINGS TO BE CONSIDERED BEFORE ADOPTING A PUPPY

UNBAKED BREAD DOUGH 

Raw dough is astonishingly appealing to the pets, especially if it contains salt. Ingested yeast dough can swell up inside a pet’s digestive tract thereby blocking or rupturing internal organs and thereby causing seizures and respiratory failure. 

TOYS AND BATTERIES 

Never keep small toys and loose batteries on the floor, away from the reach of your pet. If a dog chews on a hard plastic toy, it can be at risk of breaking its teeth. Batteries, board game pieces, and some other small household items might contain some amount of zinc, which can cause pancreatitis and renal damage if swallowed by a pet. Beware of the batteries that could be in toys, cameras, watches, and remote controls. 

ALCOHOL 

Alcohol can be poisonous to pets in numerous ways and in some cases, can also lead to a coma or death. Even seemingly harmless amounts of alcohol can be lethal. Always note that alcohol can be found in many baked goods, such as fruit cake, plum cake, even walnut cake so keep these out of reach of your furry companions. 

HOLIDAY GUESTS 

The frequent ringing of the doorbells, increased activity, and visitors coming home during the holiday season can be stressful and upsetting to a pet’s routine. Pets should be kept away from doors leading to the outside and should be under control when visitors arrive and depart. To help them avoid unnecessary stress, consider restricting your pet to a relatively quiet room with access to hiding places until the guests are gone. Make sure that you put their food, water, and litter box in the same room too.  

POTPOURRI 

Potpourri is often used around the house during festival time to put us in the holiday mood. The material in them and some additives are very irritating to the skin, mouth, and intestinal tract of the pet. If skin exposure is suspected, then bathing with a mild soap is recommended and medical care may be needed to treat the irritation and pain that can follow exposure. Ingestion often results in signs that may include drooling, loss of appetite, vomiting, and even disorientation in some cases.

Also Read: 5 EASY PUPPY TRAINING GAMES

-Dr. Swati Rawat
Previous Post
Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.